Whitchurch Photographic Society – WPS.
Affiliated to the Photographic Alliance of Great Britain through The Midlands Counties Photographic Federation.
Terms of reference and Constitution - agreed at AGM 7th July 2020
1. The Society shall be called the Whitchurch Photographic Society; membership is open to
anyone interested in photography. Those aged under 16 must be accompanied at all WPS events by a parent or guardian, who must be a WPS member
2. The objectives of the Society as a membership based organisation are to provide an association for photographic activity and the furtherance of photographic knowledge, which will include e.g. exhibiting photographs, competitions both internal and external to the WPS, member development services, lectures and sharing work with other such societies and clubs.
3. The formal status of WPS is that of an “Unincorporated Association “. This is a widely recognised organisational format for Community groups without the need for formal registration with a regulatory body. The WPS committee and Members will act in accordance with these Terms of Reference, the constitution and WPS objectives in paragraph 2 above and will be guided in their actions by appropriate values e.g. integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness ,honesty, leadership as derived from the “ Nolan Principles “
4.1 The AGM is a formal meeting held annually consisting of all WPS members to consider :
4.2 The AGM delegates to the WPS committee the responsibility to act on behalf of all Members to fulfil the objectives of WPS as in paragraph 2 above on a day to day basis and report as appropriate.
4.3 Such actions as above would normally be taken by the WPS committee acting collectively and corporately and/ or individual officers acting within their functions as determined in paragraph 7 of the TOR. Where because of time issues or other exigencies it may be necessary to take Chairman’s action, then she / he is authorised to take such action in discussion with any colleagues as appropriate and which should be reported to the Committee at the next meeting .
5. The annual subscription shall be fixed for the following year at the Annual General Meeting which is normally convened in April and will fall due on 1st October each year. The name of any member whose subscription is in arrears after 31 December may be removed from the list by order of the Committee. WPS Members are defined as those who have paid their annual subscriptions except for Honorary members as elected by the Committee who do not pay subscription fees. Guests are very welcome to attend WPS meetings whilst considering the option of membership.
6 If misconduct by any member with regard to the activities of the society is reported to or observed by the Committee, the member concerned shall be invited to meet with the Chairman, Secretary and one other member of the Committee as appropriate to discuss the matter and present their views on the issue, accompanied by a friend if they so wish. If the WPS committee, after hearing a report of this meeting finds the explanation unsatisfactory and / or if the misconduct is continued and / or considered serious enough to require such action, then the member may be required to resign their membership of the society.
All Committee proceedings and those of any special meetings called under this rule shall be treated
as confidential and the outcome reported to the WPS Committee.
7. The Society officers shall consist of a President, Chairman, Treasurer, Secretary and other officers as appropriate. The officers will be elected at the AGM; the terms of office for the Chairman and the other Officers and Committee member will normally be 3 years which may be extended in length of years, the commencing terms of which will preferably be in different years. All members have a responsibility to liaise with WPS Committee colleagues to ensure collective understanding of issues and manage the functions below .The broad areas of post holders responsibilities are summarised below, which may be enhanced by more detailed statements. All committee members have a responsibility to welcome new members and visitors as appropriate. WPS affairs shall be managed by the WPS Committee as defined in paragraph 6. All members of the Committee will have an equal vote and the Chairman will have a casting vote if required. The agendas and minutes of the WPS Committee will be published on the website for information of members
As at 2020 the Committee includes the following posts;
Competitions secretary / IT services Team
Members with special expertise
8 The Competition Selection subcommittee is composed of 3 WPS Committee members and up to 2 other WPS members on a rotational basis organised by the Secretary
9 Special meetings may be convened by the Chairman or President following a request signed by at least four members stating the reasons, agenda and content thereof and sent to the Secretary The date for any such meeting would normally be convened within 14 days of receipt of the request being received in writing
10 At Committee meetings, four members shall form a quorum. If the Chairman is not present, the quorum may elect a Chairman for that meeting only, who will have a casting vote if required. At General Meetings eight members will form a quorum.
11 The Treasurer shall collect all subscriptions and monies due. A balance sheet shall be drawn up by the Treasurer and audited by the person appointed by the committee. All forecast WPS
expenditure will be budgeted each year. Any expenditure over and above the approved club
programme must be presented at a General Meeting for the membership to approve.
12 No alteration or addition to these Terms of Reference shall be made except at the AGM or at a WPS Committee meeting which would then be subject to confirmation at the next AGM.
RJP V2 MARCH 2021